Thursday 5 April 2018

"What You Need Is ...... "



The worst conversation opener of all has to be,"What you need is ......" and you know that whatever follows, whether it's a bowl of Jerusalem artichoke soup or a bus tour to a liquorice factory, it's not going to be the answer.

Amazon has me in its sights again. Usually they leave me alone , but I bought something from them at Christmas that had to be returned, and they're determined to tempt me into spending the resulting credit note. So this week they're suggesting that my life will be complete with a book of Spanish recipes, a book on David Bowie and one on building birds of prey from Lego.

Well.... so far this week I seem to have lived on baked potatoes, read a book about running a karaoke club (don't, neither the book or the club can be recommended) and vaguely contemplated finishing a miniature quilt promised to MD eight months ago. So I'm obviously not who they think I am.

Tomorrow , perhaps I'll just go and sit in the Language Factory , have a coffee and listen to the background soundtrack that gives a quiet non-stop, shifting stream of  conversation in every language under the sun. Someone recommended it as being very Zen. Might inspire me to get up and do something or could just drive me crackers.

7 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

It's part of the homogenization of the universe. Don't fall for it. Bezos, that is, not the Language Factory.

gz said...

sounds a good place to be..relaxing and inspiring

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The Language Factory sounds verrrrrry intriguing.

Liz Hinds said...

I suspect the latter. Do they tell you what the language is? or leave you to go crazy trying to work it out?

Diane Stringam Tolley said...

Huh. So far this week, I've been encouraged to buy all sorts of art prints. A new swimsuit (or twenty) and something to help me invest. (In case buying swimsuits and/or art prints aren't enough of an investment.) Happily, I'll join you at the Language Factory. It sounds refreshing. And inexpensive . . .

Jenny Woolf said...

Sometimes it is almost not funny what Amazon want you to buy. Like it is literally the *opposite* of what you would ever want. Which description also applies to the idea of running a karaoke club! :)

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

I have made the fatal mistake of buying quite a lot of cheap ebooks from Amazon. As a result they , or their evil algorithm , genuinely know what I like. So their suggestions fatally hit the spot. And so I buy more. ...