Thursday 1 October 2015

I Did Things

Having sat like a blob for rather too long , I've got to my feet and started doing things .

The twice-yearly Fabric Fair's always worth wandering around , for the people-watching alone . Like the rather harassed woman who was buying meters of fleece , tricot and other hard wearing stuff . When someone wondered what she was planning , she just said , "I've got five children " . Everyone winced .
 But I must say , this Autumn , the general impression was rather gloomy . Five hundred shades of grey only slightly livened up by dozens of grey/black/white busy little prints ... for all the world like Italian grannies' housedresses .
This was the liveliest thing there .


"You could perhaps use it as a wall-hanging against a deep purple wall ... " said Friend . We pondered ... and thought better of it .

I've been to the cinema , too . One of my keep-fit class companions , an avid film fan , wondered if I'd like to join her at the Film House and we saw 'Dheepan' , a French film about Tamil refugees in a ghastly drug-infested  'banlieu' in Paris . Hair-raising but beautifully filmed . Next week there's Anton Corbijn's film about James Dean . I could become an avid film fan , too ...

And , having thoroughly enjoyed the BBC 1's Sunday evening's adaptation of Cider With Rosie ,  I was definitely in the mood for even more country prettiness and charm on Tuesday .


The Glasgow Boys had opened in Assen's museum and I was ready to wallow in nostalgia . So , obviously , is everybody else ; it was very busy ,  even on a weekday morning .





  Lots of lambs , cabbage patches and fruit trees , misty hills and glens , pretty children ... with all the rough edges smoothed away .
 Even a sturdy veg. stall , like the one my great-great-granny is supposed to have supported her family with  ... maybe even the same carrots she grew ?




Unfortunately the artist , William York MacGregor ,  is supposed to have painted out his unsuccessful attempt at depicting the stall-holder and replaced her with some onions , so we'll never know .

But , now Autumn has really begun , the local high life is just beginning . I see in the local paper that one of the cafés in the center of town  is going to expand its breakfast menu and , to celebrate , will be serving a free breakfast to anyone who turns up in their pyjamas , this Sunday . I might just  give it a miss ....

8 comments:

Marcheline said...

You must go. In your pyjamas. And have photos taken, which you will post here.

Annie Cholewa said...

I'm loving the thought of the cafe being full to bursting with people in their pyjamas all eating free breakfasts. Please at least pass by and report back so we can know if it was.

And how lucky to see the Glasgow Boys exhibition, I'm really rather envious.

molly said...

Now that our soggy, humid, too-hot summer is winding down it feels like normal life can resume here again too!

Lucille said...

I so much enjoyed The Glasgow Boys some time back now. I still have a pack of postcards which I use very judiciously.

Liz Hinds said...

That is lovely artwork!

When we were in Hanoi we visited the fabric market: you have never seen anything like it in your life! Well, you may have but I certainly hadn't. Stalls piled high and close together - so close only one person could squeeze between. And so much colour.

Shandy said...

We are always amazed to see people popping across to the corner shop in their nightwear when we are in Cumbria - eg t-shirt, shorts, bare feet or jim-jams and dressing gowns. They consider that perfectly normal.

love those cupcakes said...

Would love to see that mother of five's fleecey makes. Cider with Rosie was enjoyed here, too, along with An Inspector Calls and Lady Chatterley. Seem to have missed The Go Between. Must admit I went outside in search of the lunar eclipse wearing my 'jamas (it was the middle of the night and I didn't go much beyond the end of the drive) and hiking boots.

kjsutcliffe said...

Poor woman - just the thought of all that yardage of fleece covered children made me shudder!