Saturday 18 January 2014

And Once Again , This Year's Black Is .....

Well , black really ....


 Darth knew all about making an impression ... and the importance of having just the right accessory .



 Lola Flores , a hugely admired Spanish singer , was anything but monochrome but could , when out to dazzle , wear black to perfection .

And , of course , there was Coco Chanel


 


 I went to the Gemeente Museum in Den Haag last week and joined all the Chanel groupies going round its Coco exhibition .They were a strangely colour-coordinated crowd , silver haired and  almost religious in black with touches of white  ... lots of them wearing a large silver brooch with the entwined Chanel logo in black ... rather as though they were a display of handbags  .
 But no one was wearing the jewellery , perhaps understandaly since it was only eleven in the morning .


  It was as frustrating as all costume displays in that  you couldn't examine the clothes properly or feel the material  , but I felt suitably overawed by such elegance , rather like a new tweeny at Downton Abbey . I wished I hadn't worn such a very large red scarf . And then I'd had enough .
I caught sight of a splash of colour beyond the door ....

 
 Perhaps I'm more a sort of Hans van Bentem person .

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh, my, how I would love to visit that exhibition...but point well made at how frustrating it would be to not touch, turn, feel, examine-up-close all of the items.

Thanks for this quick trip to a place I'd rather be than in front of my tv this evening.

Friko said...

Did they give away free samples?

rachel said...

You get to such interesting and inspiring places! We're going to be in Amsterdam for a few days in March, so will try to keep up, culture-wise!

Liz Hinds said...

I'm coming to think that my face is too sallow at the moment for black. One day when i'm not so tired and have a bit of sunshine on me, maybe!

I'm so glad you wore a red scarf.