Friday 21 November 2008

On vintage buttons

SMITONIUS:

They can be plastic, metal or glass, but I love buttons.
Here are some of my favourite ones, tiny pink glass flowers, a blue scotty dog, and variations on sunflowers made of glass:

These buttons were made by Lionel Nichols at some point between 1940s and 1960s, and his daughter Dixie is selling them to collectors. One day I will make some jewellery with them, but in the meantime I just enjoy looking at them!


I used free software Picasa 3 to create these photo collages - isn't it fun?

I use the buttons to make necklaces or bracelets. This one, for example, used two - one shaped like Schnauzer dog in profile, and the other an auburn coloured plastic one. The beads are Czech pressed glass beads in orange and brown, and the caramel coloured ones are by Rob Johnson - they look good enough to eat!

No comments: